Click here to view this page as a PDF.
RightFax Hardware Requirements
- 2.64 GHz Xeon Processor or greater. (2 CPU recommended. Supports single and multiple CPU systems, also supports installations on 32-bit or 64-bit OS)
- Memory: 4GB RAM or greater
- Installed programs require 1.2 GB hard disk *
- Notes for Physical Server
- 2x 146 GB Hard Drives, Raid 1 (for better performance 3x 146GB, Raid 5) or greater
- Server chassis must be able to accommodate a full-length, full-height PCI fax board unless otherwise noted
- PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-Express expansion slots (Please note, expansion slots are only required if your RightFax configuration will include Brooktrout TR1034 or TruFax fax boards. Additionally, RightFax 10.5 does not support older brooktrout TR114 Series fax boards.) Please provide your Advantage representative with your server's PCI slot/riser card configuration in order to make sure the correct board is shipped.
*Hard disc minimum requirements do not include space for storage of document images. To calculate needed disk space, we recommend using an estimate of 35kb per fax page.
Additional Server Requirements
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Messaging Queue (MSMQ) server*
- Reserve network ports
- Microsoft Primary Interoperability Assemblies 2005*
- Microsoft Visual C++ runtime components*
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 SP2 or later
- IIS 6 Management Tools must be installed on Windows Server 2008 (for WebUtil)
- Microsoft .NET 4.5 Framework*
- Microsoft Data Access Components*
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 or later
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1*
- Crystal Reports 13.0 runtime* (used for FaxReproter)
- A Windows account to run RightFax services. The account you choose must be a member of the local administrators group and must have the right to logon as service on the local computer. *Installed during RightFax Setup
Supported Operating Systems
Supported Windows Server Operating Systems
Please contact your Advantage representative for more information on running RightFax in a virtual environment
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise x64
- Windows Server 2008 Standard x86 and x64
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x86 and x64
- Windows Server 2012 Standard x64
- Windows Server 2012 Datacenter x64
Supported Cluster Services
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Failover Clustering services are currently not supported.
Internet Browser Requirements
- Internet Explorer 8.0 or later is required for RightFax Web Access and Enterprise Fax Manager Web Edition. The RightFax Web Client browser is supported with additional web browsers including Google Chrome, Firefox, and Apple Safari running on Microsoft and Apple OS operating system
Windows Terminal Services for Remote Access or Terminal Services, RightFax 10.5 Supports the Following Products.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services*
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2012
- Citrix XenApp Client Windows 2008
Note: OpenText RightFax requires an HP LaserJet 4 printer driver on the server. Windows Server 2008 R2 does not include this driver by default. Before installing the RightFax on Windows Server 2008 R2, install an HP LaserJet 4 printer driver on the computer where you will be installing the RightFax server software.
Supported Version of Microsoft SQL
Microsoft SQL Server is required to run RightFax. All RightFax software editions include a licensed copy of 2008 SQL Express. The SQL Express database will support approximately 1,000,000 fax records. Your Advantage Technologies engineer will make a recommendation whether or not SQL Express should be used based on your RightFax configuration and daily fax volumes.
RightFax uses a SQL database to store all data on faxes, users, and dialing rules. During Setup, you have the option to connect to an existing SQL Server, or install a new RightFax database which includes a new installation of SQL Server 2008 Express directly on the RightFax server. Following are the supported versions Microsoft SQL:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Standard and Enterprise Editions
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Edition*
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, Standard and Enterprise Editions
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, Standard and Enterprise Editions
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express, Standard and Enterprise Editions
*During Setup, you may connect to an existing SQL Server, or install a new RightFax Database which installs SQL Server 2012 Express directly on the RightFax server.
New Installation Permissions
During new server installations, setup will prompt for two SQL accounts. The first is used by Setup to execute SQL create statements during the creation of the RightFax database. This account is required only for Setup and is neither saved nor used by RightFax. The SQL permissions required for this account are provided here:
- Create database
- Create table
- Create procedure
- Create view
- Create rule
- Create default
Windows authentication can be used or a local SQL account for the installation of RightFax. RightFax currently supports Microsoft SQL in the following version – 2005 and 2008. All editions are supported – Standard, Enterprise, 32-bit and 64-bit.
Open Text follows the minimum hardware requirements specified by Microsoft at the following links:
Most installations will need additional memory and processor speed than the minimum.
Supported Virtualization Environment
RightFax 10.6 server software is supported in the following virtual environments:
- Microsoft Hyper-V (includes support for Live Migration)
- VMware ESX 3.01. or later
- VMware vSphere 4.0 and later (includes support for vMotion)
RightFax Remote DocTransport Operating System and Server Hardware
- Any Intel server running a Windows Server 2008/2012OS
- PCI, PCI-X or PCI-e expansion slot to support the specific fax board being used in the system configuration
- Customers can also use virtual machines for RightFax Remote DocTransport servers when using the Brooktrout SR140 or the RightFax IP-Enabled Fax Channel Licenses
Clients Supported Operating Systems and Software*
RightFax FaxUtil Legacy Support RightFax 10.6 servers are compatible with RightFax FaxUtil client software versions 9.3 or later.
- Windows 8 x86 and x64
- Windows 7 x86 and x64
- Windows Vista Business, x86 and x64
- Windows Vista Enterprise, x86 and x64
- Windows Vista Ultimate, x86 and x64
Internet Explorer 8.0 or later is required for RightFax Web Access and Enterprise Fax Manager Web Edition.
- RightFax Certified Delivery (requires the RightFax SecureDocs Module)
- RightFax SOAP Server (requires SOAP client)
- RightFax Web Access (WebUtil) Internet Explorer 8 or later is required for RightFax Web applications. See the Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) section below for more information.
- The RightFax Web Client HTML-based browser client, WEBEFM, and RightFax Dashboard is supported for use with additional web browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari, running on Microsoft Windows or Apple OS operating systems.
Supported Email Systems & Email Clients
RightFax Business Edition and Enterprise Edition include the RightFax Secure SMTP Email Gateway. This email gateway is typically used for outbound fax delivery notification, routing of inbound faxes to email, and integration with hosted mail systems like Office 365, Hosted Exchange and Google Mail. Customers interested in advanced email integration features will need to purchase either the RightFax Connector for Microsoft Exchange or the RightFax IBM Lotus Notes Modules.
For integration with Microsoft Exchange via the RightFax Exchange connector, RightFax supports the following versions of Exchange.
- Exchance Server 2013
- Exchange Server 2010
- Exchange Server 2007
- RightFax 10.6 also supports processing of inbound fax calls detected and routed from an Exchange Server 2010/2013 Unified Messaging server.
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2007
IBM LOTUS NOTES
Notes Client, Domino Server and iNotes Web Access
- Lotus Domino Server R7, R8, R8.5, R8.5.1, R8.5.2, and R8.5.3
- Lotus Notes R7, R8, R8.5, R8.5.1, R8.5.2 and R8.5.3
- Lotus Domino Web Access (iNotes)
- Lotus Domino Web Access 8
The RightFax Connector for Microsoft SharePoint (optional module) supports:
- SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2010
- SharePoint 2007 x64 only
RightFax 10.6 server-side application conversion supports:
- Microsoft Word 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013
- Microsoft Excel 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013
Additional Requirements for RightFax in a Shared Service Configuration (Collective)
If you are planning to run multiple RightFax systems in a Shared Services configuration or what we call a “RightFax Collective”; it is required that all RightFax servers can read and write to the same image directly location. We do not recommend sharing the image directory off one RightFax server to the other. In this type of configuration, if the RightFax node that is hosting the image store is down, the other nodes of the shared environment or collective will not be able to write images and therefore will be considered off line.
Information for customers planning to use a SAN (Storage Area Network) for the RightFax image store location. The key for a successful RightFax collective implementation for customers that will use a SAN for RightFax image storage is ability for all "members" of the collective to be able to read and write to the same storage partition concurrently. The only way to accomplish this with a SAN is to either host the SAN on one of the collective members, then share the required folders so both members can read and write to them or host the SAN on a third server or clustered servers. Obviously, the best way to do it is to cluster the servers so there is no single point of failure.
The same applies to where you will host your SQL server. We recommend the SQL server be hosted on a separate server to enable the SQL database to be available to RightFax if any of the nodes in the shared environment or collective goes down.
Load Balancer Ports – these ports must be open for the collective to function properly:
RightFax Enterprise Fax Manager (EFM) & FaxUtility.................10520, 10521
RightFax Web Access (RWA) .................................................80
LPR Printing......................................................................... 515